You can’t predict the future — or control the havoc that a fire, hurricane, or flood can take on your home. But, you can take steps to ensure that you’re prepared in the event you
Seller’s Guide to Buyer Contigencies
Dated: October 14 2021
Every news article talks about the fact that it’s a “seller’s market.” This means that if you are selling your home, you’ve probably gotten a few offers from which to choose. While sales price is important, so are the contingencies attached to the offer. Understanding what these contingencies mean can help you choose the best offer from the pack.
5 Most Common Contingencies
1. Home Inspection Contingency – This allows the buyer the right of a professional inspection to determine the condition of the home. Generally, this must be performed within seven days and removed. The inspection will address any safety, fire, and system condition issues.
2. Appraisal Contingency – A professional appraisal will be ordered to ensure the price offered in the offer is fair market value. If the purchase will be financed, the lender must ensure the home is worth the loan value.
3. Final Loan Approval Contingency – This contingency protects the buyer in the event they are unable to obtain final loan approval.
4. Sales of Current Home Contingency – Sometimes a buyer will make an offer on a new home before their current one has sold. This contingency protects the buyer from having to complete the new sale until their home has sold.
5. Title Contingency – This contingency protects the buyer if the seller does not have the “right” to sell the home due to unforeseen ownership issues.
Contingencies are part of most real estate contracts. As you review buyers’ offers, make sure to consider both the kind of contingencies and how long before the buyer must remove them. This way, you will choose the offer with the best terms and price.
Sweet Magnolia Homes brings a local knowledge to the markets we serve that has been obtained from years of living and working in Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs. This means our agents are intima....