You can’t predict the future — or control the havoc that a fire, hurricane, or flood can take on your home. But, you can take steps to ensure that you’re prepared in the event you
Is It Time to Replace Your Roof?
Dated: November 11 2021
Owning a home may feel like a never-ending list of to-dos. It can feel like all you do is clean and maintain your house and yard. There is a lot of truth to this, but homeownership is one of the best ways to increase wealth, so maintaining your investment is critical to your financial well-being.
Surprisingly, the roof is one of the most overlooked maintenance items of the home. Often the first sign of a problem with the roof is a major leak. Before this happens to you, take a proactive look at these signs it’s time to replace your roof to avoid more expensive damage repairs, in the future.
• Check accessible areas for signs of water damage, such as the attic. Additionally, look for evidence of gaps by noticing if there is daylight showing through the roof.
• Check for signs of wood rot in the attic and the eaves around the house. Water leaks can be small, but when constant seepage encounters wood, it can cause problems.
• Moss is another sign that moisture may be spreading. If there is moss on the roof or shingles, it means water is gathering and should be addressed.
• Replace missing or damaged shingles immediately. The roofing professional will also check to ensure the timbers beneath them are still dry and solid.
• Flashing seals, the seams between the roof and the home. Flashing can come loose over the years and must be maintained and reviewed periodically.
Finally, the age of the roof may indicate that it’s time to repair or replace it. With proper maintenance, a roof may last 30 years or longer but even those under 20 years may have damage. Consult with a roofing expert as part of your regular maintenance routine to avoid expensive issues in the future.
Sweet Magnolia Homes brings a local knowledge to the markets we serve that has been obtained from years of living and working in Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs. This means our agents are intima....