Buying or selling a home can be stressful, even in normal times. Right now, when the housing market is moving at a frenetic pace, both buyers and sellers are making quick decisions and are feeling
Age-Old Real Estate Selling Tips to Ignore
Dated: August 6 2020
Homeowners planning to sell their home tend to get unsolicited advice from every direction. “Do this,” “don’t do that”; it can be difficult to decipher the good from the bad advice. As homebuyers become more informed and market-savvy, knowing which age-old advice to ignore can be important. Here are some adages which should be retired immediately.
• Spring is the best time to sell – While spring is traditionally when home sales tick upward, the real key to selling is inventory levels, which typically occur other times of the year.
• The first offer is always the best – While all offers should be considered, don’t feel pressured to take a sub-par offer just because it was the first.
• Open houses sell houses – Not anymore. Less than 2% of homes sell as the direct result of an open house, according to the National Association of Realtors®. Virtual tours and online photos will attract more interest than foot traffic.
• Price high so there is room to negotiate – Homebuyers are more sophisticated about pricing and will not bother with overpriced homes.
• If you don’t want to make repairs then lower your price – Unless you market your home as a fixer-upper, buyers expect the home to be in reasonable condition and a low price might not be enough to encourage an offer.
• You must update your kitchen to sell – Buyers do love renovated kitchens, but keep in mind that you typically recover only 81% of the cost of a remodel when selling.
Selling a home is a major life decision. Before you begin the process of listing your home, do your research and make sure the advice you rely on is valid in today’s changing environment.
Give us a call -- we are always happy to assist with your real estate questions and needs!
Sweet Magnolia Homes brings a local knowledge to the markets we serve that has been obtained from years of living and working in Atlanta and the surrounding suburbs. This means our agents are intima....